Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Pleasure and Purpose

"I believe God made me for a purpose…for China. But, He also made me fast and when I run I feel His pleasure!" - Eric Liddell in Chariots of Fire

Today I was wearing the TWLOHA shirt my sister introduced me to and our waitress at Izzy's asked me about it. I told her about the story (you'll have to check the website) and her eyes welled up. As I talked, she started rubbing her arms and I could see she had goosebumps. Turns out her adopted daughter is a had the same problems and she has been struggling a great deal lately.

When I left the restaurant, I was the one with goosebumps. It was one of those times when I knew I was in the right place and the right time for the right purpose. But, I didn't do anything. God made me for a purpose, to help others. There is nothing I have experienced in life that brings me pleasure like letting God use me for that purpose.

Society tells us all the things that can bring us pleasure - sex, money, power, cheeseburgers, coca-cola. These things might make you happy for a minute, but not really happy, not really fulfilled. That only comes from finding your purpose and letting God do the rest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:o)